Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Secret of Success

"I'll tell you the secret to success, young lady - take one thing, anything, and become an expert at it."

The preceding advice is a paraphrased notation in a book I recently read called "Finder: The True Story of a Private Investiagor", in which our lovely protagonist, a woman named Marilyn Greene, receives some free advice from a passer-by stranger while she eats ice-cream on a bench. It's a very gripping book, by the way, and a fast read.

Now then, about the advice - brilliant! Truly, think about it for a moment. Take one thing, ANY "thing", and become an expert at it, and the implication is, you'll be successful. Now, let's assume for argument's sake that we're strictly speaking monetary success here; I'm well aware of the infinite wealth one can find within volunteering, hobbies, friends, spiritual journeys, etc., so let's focus on the aspect of what was surely implied by this gentleman, the "bottom line" of money.

I, for one, cannot think of a more succinct, and undeniably profound statement. Let's consider the implications of it: it might seem easy if you were an airline pilot, or brain surgeon, because by definition, those positions are rare, due to the arduous journey of indepth schooling which takes place, the high cost of personal commitment, and years of practice and interning it requires to reach such lofty jobs - this limits the actual number of pilots and surgeons, leaving a small number of qualified individuals in a surplus of a demanding world. In short, they're going to be able to write their own ticket, and it ain't gonna be cheap (to the employer).

But let's say you're an ice-cream truck driver; all you do for your job is drive around, and sell ice-cream. Pretty boring, you say? Maybe, but let's say the person love it. Yet, is there a chance to become "financially successful" here? Well, maybe - let's take the advice, and become an expert. What that means is, we study everything there is to know about ice-cream, and then some. We learn how it's made; what the ingredients are; where they come from; and the top-selling brands. But the "then some" in our equation stretches a lot farther than we initially think: now, we learn about who produces the ingredients for our ice-cream; is there a shortage coming up? What about a strike - are those employees happy? How's the upcoming weather patterns? Will a long stretch of cooler weather hurt the business? Let's take it further: what's our route? What area produce the most paying customers? Where is the best place to purchase gas? Can our vehicle be adjusted for any further gas mileages, saving money? Can it be spruced up to draw more attention? Are we using the best configuration inside to take advantage of the volume within? How about researching the city's traffic lights? Which ones are the shortest, and where is the least-congested areas of traffic, and how can we work that into our territory?

The point is, to become an expert in anything, there is a lot to learn, and a lot more than what may seem to fit within our job description. So, as dutiful and studious cream sellers that we are, we study, we learn, and we practice. Soon, because of our newly planned route, ingeniously packed service vehicle, exemplary demeanor, and knowledge of all things ice-cream related (to quench the thirst of our question-hungry customers, suppliers, and account executives, naturally) we not only consistently make our monthly quota, we exceed it. This gets us noticed by our supervisor, and we're given an expanded territory. Simply adjusting our mathematical equation, we approach our new size the same way, and after a short while, we're exceeing again. This leads to the notice of our regional manager, which leads to a supervisor position; with this opportunity, we learn more (such as how to manage properly, human resources jargon, etc.), which eventually leads to the regional VP taking a look, and before you know it, we're co-partners of the business. Or, something like that - but you get the idea.

All I have to do now, then, is become an expert in cosmology, and I'm set! See, it's so simple - all my life, I've always loved the stars, but not just astronomy or hard sciences, like the physics and equations behind black holes, neutron stars, or about-to-explode nova's. No, I've also enjoyed the grandness of the universe, the vastness of it, and all the mystery within. That, coupled with humanity's role in the universe (ask me about that, some time), as well as our various philosophies, religions, and societal goings-on. Right. So then, all I need to do is become an expert in science, physics, religion, astronomy, sociology, philosophy, anthropology, and I'm set! Right? Yeah - right...

Except - wait, wait, I ALSO really enjoy computer games! And not only playing them, mind you, but reading about them. And reading about the latest technology that one needs to play them on. This evolving technology, really, because one year eclipses the past's best efforts. So, there it is! I'll just become an expert in all things computer and technology-related, such as polygons, bitmapping, software interfaces, hardware, algorithms, the structure of games, puzzle-related learning...

Yet, hmmm - I seem to recall really enjoying helping people. You know, in many fashions, like volunteering at a soup kitchen, or helping out my local community, perhaps by writing for a local paper or adopting a park. So, I guess, um, wait now, I need to become an expert in philanthropy, and in addition, human psychology and sociology, and...

But wait now, I also love Sci-Fi and Fantasy; ok, read all the top Hugo and Nebula award-winning novels, plus the authors biographies and personal philosophies, and...No, no, wait, I do really and truly love organizing areas, like my office, or garage, or even ethereal places like a computer's hard-drive, folders, and desktop. Ah ha! There, I shall become an expert in all things organizational, and learn the intuitive concept of placement, feng shui, disclutter, organizing principles...

Wait, I didn't even get to higher education, teaching, TEFL, travel writing, creative writing, or air guitar. Ok, if I become a master of all the above, divided by the number of working years I have left, say, 40 at most, divide by the number of seperate categories...

* Sigh * Am I a victim in my own panoply of interests? Mired in my lofty aspirations, shall I become the gent that "apprentice to all, master of none"? Oh, the agony, having the secret to success, but not knowing on which subject to apply it!

Perhaps I shall just become a Master of Blogs. All I have to do is simply read every single blog in existence, in addition to practicing writing and updating my own, and I shall achieve success!

Excuse me - I have some reading to do.

3 comments:

mikebsj said...

Dave, “Practice makes the Master”!!! I have the same dilemma or as I would like to call it, gift as you. The quote you found and the one above is so simple on the surface, but for individuals like us, not so much. We have many loves and passions in our lives we’re unable to master them all, it isn’t realistic. We must look at them all and find some similarities between them, and find the common denominator.

I will never just focus on one thing, life is too short to be a master of just medicine or law (those things take a life time to master). I would rather be a master of myself, which encompasses all my passions and weird illusions/fantasies of being a Jedi Master, or Bruce Lee. Money will always come to those who are passionate. There is a job out there that will bring all your passions together, or allow you to explore your passions either on the side, or through work.

In the end, I would rather be an apprentice over a master. An apprentice of many different skills will always be stronger than the master of one skill. An apprentice is like water, always flexible, strong, and adaptable. A master is like a rock, heavy, stubborn, and static. The apprentice is always willing to learn new things, follow new passions, and explore different realms. Bruce Lee never mastered one art. He became an apprentice of all arts, and eventually development his own.


Anyway I can go on, but what do you think? The man with the 10,000 dollar laptop has time to discuss being a Master with a guy who can’t even afford to buy his own CP games…… COME ON!!!!!

Cautiously Optimistic said...

Ah, Mike, my friend!

What to do in life? Heck, why not simply become Jedi Master's? I mean, then we could be at least master's of ONE thing, and then apprentice ourselves off to as many other focuses as we'd like!

Seriously though, I hear you, and you hear me. It's a double-edged "s" word to be sure: we hear the call of so many enjoyable things in life, so many paths, that we're torn as to what to focus on, which would (generally) in turn lead us to a more refined path in life, and then allow us to find a vocation, a career, a path in which to live, work, and receive spiritual and monetary benefits from.

Perhaps - and this is just perhaps - we are actually ON "the one" path, and we don't know it. Perhaps our one path, our vocation, is actully to seek out MANY vocations, many paths, many apprenticeships. Perhaps by simply allowing ourselves to continue to dip into that which makes us happy, whatever genre or focus it may be, we are fulfilling our destiny of being the intrepid learner, the dogged interlocutor, the person that jumps from interest to interest, gathering a modicum of knowledge and skill, and then moves on to the next. Master's we shall never be of one, save perhaps Master's of the Paths of Many. That's not too shabby, I guess. Hell, we'd always have something to talk about at cocktail parties. Speaking of which, I think I'll enjoy one now. Cheers!

mikebsj said...

Cool, see you are already a master of words - Very thought provoking indeed! Perhaps you’re right “Master’s we shall never be of one . . . [but] Master’s of the Paths of Many” we shall be! As Mr. Che would say “There we understood that our vocation, our true vocation, was to move for eternity along the roads and seas of the world. Always curious, looking into everything that came before our eyes, sniffing out each corner but only ever faintly- not setting down roots in any land or staying long enough to see the substratum of things; the outer limits would suffice.”

The question will always be - What to do in life? As we know, one must devote their entire life to become a master at one thing. Besides my family and friends, I can’t see myself devoting my life to one and only one thing. I tend to enjoy “sniffing out each corner” and looking under each rock along the journey of life. Curiosity and the endless amounts of paths will always get the best of me. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

This conversation reminds me of being back in Korea. I’ll past this on to B.

Until next time, keep Blogging away. I’ve always enjoyed your insight/philosophies on the numerous topics that are embedded into your brain.